My fascination for winning things started very young… back in the pre-internet days, I used to watch television shows and look through the newspapers for competitions and giveaways. I also used to attend bingos and buy a stack of bingo cards, also reducing the average age of attendees by about 20 years on my very own. I was such an avid competitor, that I used to win BIGTIME but I was severely underage (at most I was about 10-12 years old) so I would give my parents’ names to get the prizes.
Among the many things I have won are:
- A 3-couch living room set
- 2 laptops
- 1 television
- Money (cash, checks, paypal)
- Swarovski crystals
- Kitchen appliances
- Gift cards
- Hotel stays
- Veterinary services (saved me hundreds of dollars)
- Random miscellaneous prizes!
I was even on a game show once. I entered the game show’s raffle so many times, that I knocked the competition out of the water and my name was picked as the final contestant. Of course, me being 12 years old…they weren’t going to let me on the show on my own. So my dad came with me while my mom ‘assisted’ live through the phone. The funny thing is: the model from the show actually told me beforehand what to pick so I would win all the prizes (that lady had a heart of gold or she just really hated her job and wanted to screw them over).
AND WIN I DID. EVERYTHING. EVERY SINGLE PRIZE THE SHOW HAD TO OFFER. I was the first grand prize winner ever on the show. At 12 years old!
Long gone are the days of those type of competitions… now the giveaway and competition scene has changed, but I still do well when I put some effort into it.
These are the ways I’m winning goodies now:
There are sooooo many giveaways out there, even those open internationally. We get overwhelmed with the amount and can only add a portion to the listing. They are becoming more competitive and harder to win due to participation numbers, but there’s still a chance to win them, especially if you take part in as many entries as possible. Both my head volunteer and I win giveaways here & there (she wins more than me!).
Country-based Facebook Contests
The awesome thing about Facebook contests is that you can find contests from your own country, and those are usually less popular and thus have less participants.
I went a little nutty with it… first, I created a new Facebook profile. Then, I started liking pages from companies in my country LIKE CRAZY. I must have reached 1000 easy… anytime I liked a page, it would recommend 10 more and so I kept at it until I had liked all sorts of hotels, restaurants, companies, products, stores, clothing brands, etc. – all from the country where I reside.
Then, I searched for keywords in the Facebook search bar, so it would show me posts from my liked pages that contained those keywords. I bookmarked those searches, and I check them every so often to find new contests.
I have won TONS of things this way… sometimes I find contests that have less than 10 participants and I blow it out of the water with my entry!
This is the search URL for keywords. Just change the keyword in red and you will get relevant search results from pages’ posts:
These keywords work out well for me:
Unfortunately, this search URL gives you the most popular results, not the latest, so if anyone can figure out how to search by “most recent” posts with keywords – tell me in a comment!
To each his own when it comes to gambling, but as I mentioned, I’ve been into bingo since I was a little kid. And when I did bingo, I didn’t take it easy. I could handle at least 10 bingo cards at a time per game as a youngin’ and today I can handle more. Some of my best prizes were won on national bingo games, although I never won the ultimate prize: a vacation.
My grandpa also started teaching me poker when I was about 5 years old, so I grew up playing it and I have a naturally mathematical and strategic mind (I actually have a BA degree in strategy). I’ve been playing online bingo for a few years and although I don’t do it on any pro level, I’ve won some prizes and money!
I just don’t recommend you get into it unless (a) you are very good at the particular game and (b) you know when to give yourself a break and quit playing. Gambling is no joke… don’t do it unless you know what you’re getting yourself involved in.
Honestly, I’m quite bad at these because I’m Twitter-ignorant. However, I participated in ONE Twitter party once and won a $100 gift card just like that… All I had to do was tweet something that was mentioned on a webinar that I was watching at the time and kapow – money. It was so easy that I felt like I was missing out on some amazing opportunities to win more goodies in Twitter parties, but alas, I have yet to take myself up on finding and participating in more. You can take a look at this good resource to learn more about how they work.
Where else are you winning money and prizes? Tell us below if you have any great tips!
- Obviously, enter as many times as you can! Do as many of the additional entry options as possible, and make sure you follow directions on how to post them.
- If you are asked to post a separate comment for each entry, then don’t post only one entry summarizing everything you did. A lot of giveaway hosts use random.org and it would be a shame that you just turned your 14 entries into only 1!
- Get a Twitter, Facebook and Etsy account, get a blog if you would like, and join any other social media websites that may give you the chance to get more entries in giveaways. Do try to get followers for all of these because not all giveaway hosts are happy to provide extra entries for blogs/accounts which have no audience. I also started with zero followers, so it takes time to build a following but it’s not impossible.
- Be honest when answering the mandatory or additional entries. If they ask that you go to a store and pick out a favorite item, don’t just post any random item in order to enter. Really look at the store and help the owner figure out which items are most popular in his/her shop. Also, keep into account that not all giveaways pick a random number. Some actually pick a giveaway winner based on their answers. I’ve actually won one or two of those already. So honesty can help you win!
- Make sure you leave contact information in all your entries! You might win and never find out about it because you left no way for the giveaway host to contact you. Most likely, another winner will be picked in that case. Also, I’ve heard that some giveaway hosts won’t bother to hunt for your e-mail address if it’s posted on only one comment. So cover your bases and leave your e-mail address in each entry comment you post.
- CHECK YOUR E-MAIL OFTEN! Giveaway hosts tend to give a certain amount of time for winners to contact them. It ranges from 24 hours to a few days. If you don’t check your e-mail, you might lose your prize.
- Are there multiple giveaways available on the blog? Enter them! A lot of giveaway hosts give you extra entries for entering their other giveaways.
- Be organized! Have one page or tab open where you can see a list of giveaways (either your RSS reader, my website, etc.). When you want to enter a giveaway, open it in a new tab or window. That way you won’t have to press “Back” in order to enter more giveaways.
- Most likely, you’ll have to post at least your name and e-mail address in your entry. So prepare that signature before you start entering giveaways. It’s a shame to write it again each time when you can easily copy and paste! Mine looks like this:
- Whether you use Texter or notepad or some other form of autofiller, you can already set-up the typical entry comments for easy copy/pasting like so:
I am a blog follower through Google Friend Connect!
youremail[at]gmail.comor..I follow you on Twitter!
- READ the entry directions BEFORE you start posting. You might miss the mandatory entry and then all your entries go straight to the trash. Can you get extra points for tweeting? Following? Do any available additional options BEFORE you start posting any entries. Believe me, it will be a lot quicker to post comment after comment then to tweet, then comment, then follow, then comment, etc.
- Do you get more than one entry for doing something in particular? (Like blogging about the giveaway usually gives you more than one entry) Don’t waste your time re-writing the whole comment over and over again… just copy/paste! I do suggest that you number the comments like so – Entry 1, Entry 2, etc. That way you can keep track of how many comments you posted for that particular action.
Are you new to International Giveaways?
Then make sure to read this so you can understand how the website and the giveaway world work!
My name is Ronit and I love entering giveaways and winning amazing prizes from all over the world. I’m devoted to helping spread the idea of opening giveaways worldwide so people from all over the globe can win.
I have won dozens of really great prizes of all sizes, costs and uses… ranging from gift certificates, outfits, accessories, makeup and even shoes! Participating in giveaways is really fun, especially when you receive that “Congratulations! You’ve Won” e-mail.
To get started with giveaways I suggest doing the following things:
- Create a new e-mail address ONLY for entering giveaways and sweepstakes. That way you don’t have to worry about spam or other unsolicited e-mails. Make sure to check it constantly to not lose a prize!
- If you don’t already have them, create a Twitter account and a Facebook account. Many giveaways give you the chance to win extra entries for advertising the giveaway in these sites!
- Download, install and set-up a program called “Texter” to make giveaways easier and faster to enter. Read more about this in the “Tips” section. (Coming Soon)
- Follow my site by e-mail, RSS reader, Facebook, Twitter or by visiting the site daily. You will always see new giveaways posted on the main page, and you can also easily list them by expiration date with a click of a button. Enter giveaways you’re interested in and watch the prizes come in!