Those who know me are aware that I’m a neat freak. I like to have everything organized, regardless if it’s pillows or documents. Every bill, document and paper that I have is neatly labeled and chronologically organized under real folders stored in my closet.
But lately I’ve been thinking about taking this one step further and eliminating the heavy amounts of paper I have piled up through the years. Ideally, I can have all my documents scanned and neatly kept on my computer and online as a backup. Keeping it on the computer scares me since for all I know, I could lose all my data. So saving it both on my computer and online seems like a smart solution, as long as I have a strong security is in place.
TouchDox approached me not too long ago to let me know about their product and how it’s great for organizing all my life documents. So far, I’ve really enjoyed reviewing their service! It’s actually a good fit for what I was looking for – a safe, secure and easy-to-use tool to save all my documents online. It’s like an online safe deposit box for my passports, birth certificates, warranties and work documents.
Joining is super easy and the second you do it and verify your email, they give you 5GB of memory free. You login and presto – you’re in the home area of your account, where you can start adding folders and documents.
The Touchdox account comes pre-equipped with six folders, only visible to you and no one else. They are more or less what I would have set up for myself, but even if not, deleting and adding folders is easy. The idea is that you keep all your important documents stored securely, online. To start you off, they provide these 6 folders and recommend you use them like so:
- Identity (for documents like birth certificate, passport)
- Health (for health and medical records)
- Education (For certificates, scorecards, and transcripts)
- Investments (Investment records and certificates)
- Home and Appliances (Home documents, leases, Invoices, warranties and manuals)
- Bills (Phone, Insurance, Utility)
I really like the idea of keeping all my documents neatly stored under one account. Instead of having to search in my computer, closet, mail and fridge (my dad likes to place important documents on the side at times), I could have it all saved in one TouchDox account and problem solved. Easy to access, easy to organize, easy to upload.
It’s interesting that their CEO Dippankar Halder was actually featured on Wired.com on how to be an effective “Home CEO”. I think that’s exactly what I am – CEO of my household, my finances, my blogs, my career and my freelance work. Sometimes it’s hard to juggle it all.
Things I love about their service and software:
- It’s online so I can access anywhere as long as I have internet connection. That’s very helpful when I go on trips abroad.
- 5GB of free space! That would take me a long time to fill up.
- The high level of security. I can trust that my files remain secure, and they are Norton secured, which is top notch.
- Uploading documents is fast and easy, completely hassle free.
- You can forward documents to your account by email. (It’s an awesome feature)
- They have a mobile app available as well so you can upload and download from your cell phone. Great option for when I’m traveling.
There are a few features that I think would make this program that much better. For one, I would like to be able to place folders within folders. That way, I can add have one main “Bills” folder, and within it a few folders to organize my bills like electric, telephone, internet, and so on. I also think an automatic sync to my computer would be great. If I could mark specific documents or folders from my computer and have them upload the edited and new documents every so often automatically, then I wouldn’t have to manually login and upload them.
My overall review: I like Touchbox! I already started uploading my bills and documents little by little. I’m comforted by the fact that I now have an online, secure backup for them in place.
Coming soon! TouchDox wants YOU to try out their service, too. We’ll be running a giveaway together for $100 – open worldwide!
And *hint, hint* they have giveaways running for their Facebook followers all the time.